Illustration by David S. Goodsell, the Scripps Research Institute
Just because the school year has ended does not mean I have nothing to do in the realm of eduction. Here are some projects keeping me busy this summer.
- I have a HHMI workshop showcasing some of the evolution resources on June 11 and 12. It is being organized by Jennifer Barnes, a teacher at Woodstock High School in Cherokee County, GA. I will be presenting how to use the phylogeny tools through inquiry. If you are in the area, the workshop is FREE.
- I have started growing some fast plants for the AP biology artificial selection lab. I have not done the lab so I want to try it out this summer to get familiar. So far, I have sprouts!
- I have been pretty obsessed with the art/science information produced by David Goodsell both through his book The Machinery of Life and the models produced by 3D Molecular Designs. I have begun working up activities for the models for the AP standards and learning objectives. I plan to have activities finished for 3-4 standards by the end of the summer.
- There are a number of performance indicators that are lacking activities in the SBL system I emulate, so I will try to fill in those gaps this summer.
- I need to nail down my modification of my SBG/SBL system for this fall. Please take a look and comment if you’d like. The big stickler is homework accountability and whether I will grade it.
- Lastly, I will be attending the BSCS/NABT AP Biology Leadership Academy this summer. I really can’t wait for this and I know I will learn a lot.